Students Demand Action advocates for change

Image from studentsdemandaction.net

Image from studentsdemandaction.net

Students Demand Action (SDA) is a nonpartisan club dedicated to ending gun violence in America. Hart’s club is a smaller chapter of the national SDA organization and focuses on solving gun violence through advocacy.

SDA is organizing a variety of upcoming events. They are holding a virtual voter registration September 25, where they will help Hart students 16 or older to pre-register to vote in local and national elections. Members of SDA are also encouraged to apply to be Election Day poll workers.

SDA has information about both of these events on the Google Classroom and Remind. Students can text @hartSDA to 810-10 to join the Remind or use code jnsrues to join the Google Classroom.

Anette Brecko and Sophia Yi are SDA’s co-presidents this school year. Brecko has been a part of the club since the incident at Saugus in 2019.

“Seeing the horrible and lasting effects that gun violence can have, especially so close to home, made me motivated to bring about change in regards to our nation’s consistent problem with gun violence,” said Brecko.

As for the club itself, Brecko enjoys the discussion that the club makes accessible.

“My favorite part of SDA is coming together with other people that want to bring about positive change and who care about the issue of gun violence as much as I do. I also really enjoy the discussions that we have had about gun violence and gun sense laws, which have been difficult to replicate in a distance learning environment,” Brecko said.

More information about the club can be found on SDA’s Instagram account @studentsdemandhart.