Boeing continues to experience dangerous in-air incidents

January 5, 2024, the renowned aircraft manufacturer, Boeing, faced its first major incident of the year, with a door plug flying off mid flight, depressurizing the cabin and forcing a landing. This seemingly started a string of events which have occurred in the following months with multiple safety concerns being brought up regarding Boeing’s planes, which make up the fleets of countless airlines. While no one is yet to be seriously injured in these incidents, Boeing is facing criticism and backlash following the apparent dangers that their planes hold.

As of April 10 2024, up to six incidents have been reported: ranging from wheels falling off of landing gear to engines and engine covers falling off mid flight, each forcing landings. Most recently, on April 7, an engine cover fell off of a Texas-bound flight, striking a wing flap as the plane took off. This caused damages that could’ve endangered the passengers, hindering the pilot’s ability to control the plane. The Southwest Airlines flight quickly landed and all 135 passengers were safely let off at the Denver airport.

“Several passengers and flight attendants heard something loud hit the wing,” said one of the crew members. 

While no passengers have been harmed in the recent string of Boeing accidents, many are starting to feel unsafe flying on Boeing planes, as they are worried that they are jeopardizing their safety.. The company has been under heavy scrutiny from the FAA since the door incident in January, prompting several audits from the FAA in recent months, even disrupting flights as the FAA grounded numerous flights for multiple weeks that used the 737 Max model of plane. 

“When I see a 737 Max 8 or Max 9, I do tend to pause a little bit.” said Scott Powell, president of Skyline Corporate Communications. 

With the rise of incidents involving Boeing in recents months, distrust between the company spells negative consequences. It’ll be important to see Boeing’s response, as many hope for an increase in the safety of their planes.