What is Ramadan?

Ramadan is a Muslim holiday celebrated for 29-30 days. It begins and ends with the appearance of the crescent moon. During Ramadan, Muslims don’t eat food or drink any liquids from sunrise to sunset and during the entire month, they devote themselves to reflection and prayer. Muslisms typically don’t require children to fast until they become a certain age. But in some cases, children are eager to begin to feel like they can be in on the fun and join their family to celebrate. When Ramadan is over, large feasts are held to celebrate. Zakat al-Fitr, also an Islamic holiday meaning charity and breaking a fast, and Eid prayers, holy holiday prayers, are also celebrated at the end of Ramadan so the less fortunate can also participate and enjoy the season of Eid.

For some students, it is hard to fast during the school day. However, other students say it’s helpful to get your mind off of food and focus on other activities at school, such as doing their assignments for classes, listening to their teachers, or hanging out with their friends. After school, while they are home, some Muslim youth find it easier to read a book or watch a TV show.  

According to EducationWeek, “Once kids get older, they often have to juggle their religious obligations with academics, extracurricular activities and other social pressures. In Muslim countries — or Islamic schools in the U.S. — entire schedules shift to accommodate Ramadan. But the holy month can be trickier to navigate in settings where peers and others may not understand Islam.”  

“It is a difficult experience balancing testing and fasting, but ultimately fasting and reflection is a worthwhile and spiritual enriching experience,” said a student at Hart High School.