Lunar New Year traditions at Hart

Vietnamese Lunar New Year, also known as Tết Lunar New Year or Tết Nguyên Đán, is widely celebrated through many different traditions and customs that have been passed down through generations over the past 3,500 years. 

It is very similar to Chinese New Year, in that they follow the same calendar and festivities focus on coming home and spending time with family. One noticeable difference is that instead of the rabbit and the ox, Vietnamese culture celebrates the cat and buffalo respectively. 

While it is traditionally celebrated with fireworks, parades, dances and a lantern festival, some people at Hart do it a bit differently while still paying respect to their culture.

“We prepare by making bánh tét chuối [and] setting out an offering of fruit and preparing New Year’s food to our ancestral altar,” said Grace Hazelett. “Our traditions include wishing well for our family members, receiving li xi—red envelopes—and playing a Vietnamese gambling game.”

“It’s a big deal to the both of us because being half Asian and half White makes it hard to fully identify with our Vietnamese roots,“ added Sadie Hazelett. “I feel removed sometimes, but celebrating helps me feel more connected—especially to my family that still lives in Vietnam.”

“It’s a lot of fun, and celebrations usually last for 1-2 weeks. There are a lot of activities to do and anyone can participate as long as they are doing it to appreciate the event and culture,” she continued.

So get ready Hart—mark your calendars for February 10 to celebrate and welcome the start of the year of the Dragon!