Artist of the Issue: Dana Sorensen

Dana Sorensen, a four-year member of the Hart Regiment, plays her clarinet in a performance with the Hart band. (published with permission from Dana Sorensen)

Dana Sorensen, a senior at Hart, began playing the clarinet during her second semester of eighth grade. Since then, she has earned the Most Improved Musicianship Award and superior ratings at both, the SCSBOA Solo & Ensemble Festival and the Festival Disney Solo & Ensemble.

Sorensen joined the Hart Regiment during her freshman year and has put many diligent hours into improving her skills. During her junior year, she served as the clarinet section leader, a position she still holds to this day. She is proud of contributing to Hart Regiment’s legacy and to how far her section has grown.

Each year new freshmen enter the band, and it is the job of section leaders like me to aid them in fine-tuning their musical abilities and feeling a sense of community with the rest of the band. I have helped those in my section to develop, and I know that in turn they will help newcomers after I am gone,” said Sorensen.

Over the past four years, Sorensen describes her experience performing and competing with Hart Regiment and Colorguard as a comradery. She explains that everybody in the program has a special bond and have all shared incredible experiences together, through the nerves and excitement. Although everything has been virtual this school year, everybody has still been able to participate in traditions with a virtual twist.

“Normally we do a ‘freshman kidnapping’, waking up the freshman super early to go to breakfast as we all dress in ridiculously bizarre costumes. This year we surprise-decorated their front yards and dropped off supplies for a hat-decorating competition (Each section leader was assigned a couple of freshmen and I decided to make a ton of origami cranes to throw everywhere. It was awesome)”, Sorensen said.

To the future members of the program, Sorensen explains that with determination and focus, you can achieve anything. Although she started out with a small musical background, Hart Regiment has been able to help master her playing skills and improve her musical knowledge. While her improvement didn’t happen overnight, Sorensen encourages new-comers to not be discouraged, for they will see how far they’ve come over time.

“Band has taught me to enjoy the journey. Reaching the destination is fun but the path along the way is full of dear and precious memories,” said Sorensen.