Diving into Billie Eilish’s new album: HIT ME HARD AND SOFT

Billie Eilish’s album, HIT ME HARD AND SOFT, was released on May 16, 2024. It celebrates the vulnerable parts of her as an artist and is about different experiences. The album features 10 songs and is 43 minutes in length.

A song that stood out to me would be “LUNCH.” It’s more upbeat compared to the other songs on the record, which was definitely different, but something I enjoyed. There was also a story in the song, which I believe to be her mentioning a girl she wants a relationship with, as given by the lyrics, “I’m interested in being more than just friends” and “Seems like she might be the one.”

Another song that caught my interest was “L’AMOUR DE MA VIE.” I really enjoyed the tone of the song and her vocals. Around the four-minute mark, the beat becomes upbeat. In no way does this ruin the song, but I personally believe that it would have been better to keep the previous tone. 

The story I was able to piece up was that her relationship ended and she was heartbroken, with the lyrics “For making me feel like it killed you if I tried to leave,” but I believe that she was also glad the relationship ended, with lyrics like, “You were so mediocre” and “So glad it’s over now.

Overall, the album seems to take a somber-gentle tone, her vocals are elegant and calming. The story I was able to discover is that she falls in love with a girl, the relationship becomes intimate as the two get closer, then the two break up. She’s heartbroken, but also glad that it’s happened. Knowing it was for the better, by “BLUE” she accepts that it’s all okay. 

The album is something that I highly recommend listening to, it has great songs and a good storyline.