True crime documentary debuts on Netflix

April 10, Netflix released its newest true crime documentary What Jennifer Did. The film showcases the tragic and enticing story of an home invasion that left Bich Pan deceased, and her husband Huei Hann Pan critically injured. The film provides real interview footage between Jennifer Pan and various criminal/homicide investigators, news coverage and interviews with Pan’s relatives.

The interviews detail her alleged motives, and reasoning behind her attempt to kill her family indirectly; which she did so by hiring mutuals to attack her family via home invasion. Interviews have additionally revealed her desire to inflict harm on herself by request, which didn’t pan out correctly after the death of her mother during the attack. 

Jennifer Pan’s story is a sad one, given how heavily pressured by her parents she was to succeed in school – which brought her anger and resentment towards her family.  Pan did volunteer work for various hospitals in Ontario. However, her actions are certainly not justified by her family background, and in interviews shown in the documentary she seems to play the victim perfectly before being forced into confessing her involvement in the murder, alongside her ex boyfriend and hired hitman.

The documentary focuses on all of the moments leading up to the incident, including her frequently mentioned struggles regarding academic performance and how she eventually dissociates herself from her family life. The investigation into her case lasted less than a month, when it was revealed that she and her ex Daniel Wong had additionally hired hitmen who were all arrested mid April of 2024. Pan would be convicted for first degree murder and sentenced to life in prison.