Disney sells their California parks to Six Flags

As of recently, Disney sold their popular theme park, Disneyland, to Six Flags for 7.5 billion dollars. Their reasons for selling the amusement park were due to a lack of funds. Disney’s recent poor box office performances have resulted in a loss of money, and the high budgets of the films did not help Disney earn money back. In a last-ditch effort to avoid bankruptcy, Disney sold their Disneyland properties to Six Flags, which includes Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure. Six Flags has reportedly already talked about incorporating more unique, intense roller coaster rides into the parks.

“A new theme park location allows us to reach further, with this being our fifth park here in California. Due to the purchase of Disneyland and California Adventure, we can incorporate a Hurricane Harbor alongside the main theme park,” said Selim Bassoul, the current CEO of Six Flags.

Due to the 72-acre size of California Adventure, Bassoul’s decision to convert it into a Hurricane Harbor park would result in it being the biggest water park in California. Currently, the biggest California waterpark is Raging Waters, spanning 60 acres. Six Flags also plans on changing the theme of the Disneyland Park, removing the storytelling themes and changing it to the classic adrenaline-filled themes that Magic Mountain parks tend to have.

There have been rumors that all children-targeted rides at Disneyland will be revamped into rollercoasters. Disneyland’s It’s a Small World ride will be rebuilt into a roller coaster, the design being similar to Magic Moutain’s Gold Rusher ride. The other rides being revamped include The Mad Tea Party, Casey Jr. Circus Train, King Arthur’s Carousel and more rides meant for younger guests. Disneyland is rumored to be shut down between late 2024 and early 2025. The project will cost nearly 25 million dollars and will take years to complete, the ideal completion date being late 2028. It will be interesting to see how the finished product will look, there is no concept art as to what the new park will look like after the revamp, but guests of Disneyland and Magic Mountain are excited for the new park.