It happened, the Santa Clarita mall is shutting down

After 32 long years, the Valencia Westfield Mall is being shut down! Not only closed, but completely demolished to make room for apartment complexes in the heart of our city. The mall in Santa Clarita has stayed a staple for shopping, good eats and entertainment for decades amongst our residential families. 

There were inklings in recent years, as many stores and restaurants have been cycled in then right back out at a quicker pace than a successful business would expect. Even the biggest of chain stores such as GAP and Banana Republic have departed from the list of shopping options in the Westfield Valencia Mall. 

The management of the mall has slowly but surely allowed its downfall to steer away loyal customers after many years. I cannot remember the last time I have gone to the mall out of leisure. 

I am actually employed by francescas’s, a store located in the outdoor patio of the mall. Now, as I will soon be out of a job, I cannot help but be frustrated with the lack of care that has been shown to our mall the past couple of years. There are countless other outstanding Westfield Malls such as Topanga, Century City and Fashion Square just to name a few. Those malls are all a driving distance away from Santa Clarita, so why is it that ours is the lowest of quality? 

I struggle to see the value of residency here in Santa Clarita because any shopping that has to get done will now be at least a 30 minute drive away. The mall was simply so sad and quite embarrassing for quite some time might I add. 

Santa Clarita’s redeeming qualities are scarce now. Sure we have Six Flags, but only teenagers go and even then the restaurants around the area are full of chain brands.