France appoints a young, gay prime minister

The newest Prime Minister of France, Gabriel Attal, replaced Elisabeth Bornes January, becoming known as “The First Gay French Prime Minister.” This makes Attal one of the world’s most prominent and powerful LGBTQ politicians. He is a rising star in Macron’s renaissance party and was a spokesman during the pandemic which boosted his popularity. Critics from both left and right took aim at Attal for his limited experience, his Paris upbringing seen as out of touch with people struggling in the provinces, and his loyalty to the president.

Attal, a rising star in the liberal and political Macron’s Renaissance Party, has served as Minister of Education and National Youth since July. During his tenure, he enacted a controversial ban on the wearing of the abaya in French public schools and has worked on raising awareness of bullying in schools. Attal said his goals include making security an “absolute priority” and promoting values of “authority and respect of others.” He also vowed to strengthen public services including schools and the health system and push for “better controlling immigration.” Attal mentioned education, inflation, the liberalization of the French economy and youth development as leading matters for the country in a speech after his nomination, but highlighted education as “the mother of our battles, the one which must be at the heart of our priorities.”

Attal was the government spokesman during the pandemic, which immediately boosted his profile among the general French public. His political career has since progressed at lightning speed for a man of his age. During Macron’s second term, Attal was tapped to lead the ministry of public works and public accounts before becoming education minister. As prime minister, he will be in charge of forming a new government and ensuring the passage of legislation that advances the president’s agenda.