South Africa opens genocide case against Israel in the International Court of Justice

January 11, the International Court of Justice heard from South Africa on their opening claims in their charges against Israel on the counts of plausibility of genocide of Palestinians in Gaza and then Israel’s defense to the claims. South Africa’s claims follow the continuous Israeli military airstrikes and operations in Gaza since the October 7 Hamas attack on Israel.

South Africa’s lawyers spoke and provided evidence to back their claims which came from Palestinian journalists in Gaza, as well as videos many Israel Defense Forces  soldiers posted themselves on social platforms. Majority of the evidence was photos and videos of the destruction and living situation in Gaza. South Africa has also condemned the October 7 attack and called for the hostages to be released.

Israel responded to South Africa’s claims the following day. Israel’s lawyers defended their attacks as they believed it was justified after the October 7 attacks, where Hamas killed around 1,200 people and took 250 hostages. Israel showed videos of the October 7 attacks to the audience as part of their evidence and claimed that South Africa ignored the October 7 attacks and their right to defend themselves.

Since the October 7 attacks, more than 23,000 people have been killed in Gaza, about 70% being women and children. 85% of the population have been driven away from their homes and much of Northern Gaza has been reduced to rubble. Many officials have said that there is a discrepancy between Israel’s description of Gaza and reality.

“The reality on the ground where UN agencies say people are starving, lacking water and seeing attacks on hospitals, schools and universities,” said Senior Lecturer in State Crime of Queen Mary University, Thomas MacManus.

The court could take years to make a ruling, however South Africa has hopes that the court will use provisional measures, which are emergency orders that can happen before the main case even begins. To put it into other words, South Africa is calling for an action that requires Israel to stop the violence that is going on in Gaza right now.