Targeted usage of viruses shows promise for fighting tumors

Recent research into the use of viruses to combat the metastasis of malignant tumors has been proven successful in recent scientific trials. Specifically, scientists have been enlisting the use of the Zika virus to prevent the spread of cancer cells within mice. 

“These mice’s tumors showed almost complete tissue death immediately after they were injected with Zika and the animals showed prolonged survival.” wrote Jennifer Zieba in an article for Livescience. 

The Zika virus specifically was chosen for these trials because of the effect it can have on the development of fetuses. When spread to a fetus, the Zika virus targets developing brain cells and can severely stunt brain growth. 

This targeting effect has been harnessed by scientists in order to easily kill developing cancer cells in a type of cancer known as neuroblastoma, which develops from immature nerve cells and is commonly diagnosed in infants. 

Although the treatment isn’t ready for clinical use in humans, it has had the same deteriorating effects in extracted human tumors that it has had in mice.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, antibody drugs have also shown promising results in slowing the progression of tumor growth by targeting the abnormal proteins within cancerous cells in mice.

“According to a new study, scientists have designed antibodies that can barge into cancer cells and drag abnormal proteins out, ultimately slowing tumor growth in mice.” said Nadia Jaber in an article for the National Cancer Institute. 

The specific antibodies being used are known as IgA antibodies, that are usually used to prevent germs and toxins from entering the viscera. They’ve been tailored for targeting abnormal KRAS proteins found in 30% of cancer cells and have shown to substantially slow the development of tumors. 

Although many current experimental cancer treatments seem incredibly specific in their functions, creative solutions such as these are exactly what leads to miracle medical revelations and cures, and ultimately are crucial stepping stones in humanity’s battle against cancer.