Biden addresses the nation and encourages support for Israel

October 19th at 5:00 p.m., President Biden made his second-ever Oval Office address to the American people, calling for support for Israel and Ukraine. In his address to the public, Biden immediately explained why Americans should be very concerned with the wars in Ukraine, Israel and Palestine.

“You know history has taught us that when terrorists don’t pay a price for their terror, when dictators don’t pay their price for regression, they cause more chaos and death and more destruction. They keep going and the cost and the threats to America and the world keep rising,” Biden said. 

This rare address also included Biden’s request to Congress to approve his budget increase to financially and physically fund Israel and Ukraine’s weapons while in conflict with Palestine and Russia. 

“The security package I’m sending to Congress… is an unprecedented commitment to security that will sharpen Israel’s qualitative military edge which we’ve committed to. We are going to make sure the Iron Dome continues to guard the skies over Israel. We are going to make sure other hostile actors in the region know that Israel is stronger than ever and prevent this conflict from spreading,” Biden said.

This address is coming to the nation at an extremely tense time for the world. This 17-minute speech confirmed Biden’s plan for the future of America and the future of the people in Israel and Palestine. Ahead of a suspected ground operation by the Israeli Defense Forces, President Biden promised “life-saving humanitarian assistance” for both Israelis and Palestinians currently in Gaza.

Despite Biden’s support for Israel, he promised the nation that he fully condemns the inhumane treatment by the IDF of the civilians of Gaza saying: “Look, now at the same time I discussed again yesterday with President Netanyahu the need for Israel to operate by the laws of war. That means protecting civilians in combat as best they can,” Biden said.