Republican Party searches for answers during first Republican debate

The Fox News Republican Debate was held August 23 in Milwaukee, WI, where eight of the top Republican candidates engaged in discussion, searching for approval ratings. The candidates discussed the economy, U.S. support for Ukraine and support for President Trump during the debate.

“A Republican Slugfest” wrote the New York Times in a description of the debate, a sentiment echoed by many liberals and conservatives alike. There were many instances in the debate in which the candidates attacked one another, often with Vivek Ramaswamy at the center of the arguments.

“I’m the only person on this stage who isn’t bought and paid for,” said entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy in reference to his lack of involvement in politics before his campaign. Conservatives have critiqued Ramaswamy for neglecting to mention the George Soros affiliated scholarship he received during college.

Notably, President Trump was not in attendance at the debate, making the debate’s most popular candidate Ron DeSantis, with a 15% endorsement rating for the 2024 Republican primary. Despite his lack of presence at the debate, all but two of the candidates said that they would support President Trump as the Republican nominee, regardless of the outcomes of his four indictments. 

“The conduct is beneath the office of the president of the United States” said former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie referring to Trump’s actions on and following January 6, 2020. Christie’s statement was nearly drowned out by the crowd’s boos. In contrast, Ramaswamy vowed to pardon President Trump if given the chance. 

Every candidate was adamant in their opposition to abortion, but there was a major divide among them about pushing a federal abortion plan. Former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley was among those who were against a federal abortion ban. 

“We aren’t going to put a woman in jail…if she has an abortion,” Haley said, along with saying that the issue should be sent back to the states to decide for themselves. North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum agreed, supporting the states’ rights to decide for themselves on abortion by quoting the Tenth Amendment.

“It’s not a states-only issue. It’s a moral issue,” said Vice President Mike Pence regarding abortion. Pence voiced support for a federal 15 week abortion ban, accompanied by Ron DeSantis, former Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson and South Carolina Senator Tim Scott.

Many pundits have considered Ramaswamy’s views extreme–including his belief that climate change is a hoax–but these views have gained him around three points in approval ratings, and his approval is still increasing at rapid pace as of August 28. The other candidates’ ratings have remained relatively stagnant, leaving Trump at a 52% approval rating for the Republican primary, over 37 points above all other candidates.