Hart girls varsity soccer finishes the season strong

Hart’s goalkeeper Laura Brennan, 34, saves a free kick attempt during a conference match between the Hart Indians and the Saugus Centurions at the Saugus High School football field on Friday, Jan. 20, 2022. The Indians beat the Centurions 3-1. Chris Torres/The Signal

Hart Girls Varsity Soccer ended their season with a kick! After the season ended, they finished off by making it to CIF. Their last game was against Redondo High School in Redondo March 3.

“Our hardest competitor would have to either be Westlake or Redondo,” said Briley Phelps, 11th grade, Varsity. 

The first game played against Redondo February 23, Redondo won with a score of 2-1, with junior Macey Edemann scoring a goal in the last ten minutes of the game. 

“I scored a goal off of a teammate off of a corner kick which was insane and brought the team up,” said Macey Edemann, 11th grade Varsity. 

Throughout the season, the team practiced five to six times each week for around one to two hours, then the girls watched film after. 

Before league, the team didn’t train as much, so that they wouldn’t be mentally worn out by the time league came around. The girls had one game before league which was against West Lake. They lost that game 2-1 but developed a strong relationship with one another as it was their first game playing all together. 

The girls on the team, from being on club teams and all coming together, working together, becoming close without being stressed, everyone just clicked this year even outside of soccer,” Edemann said . 

This year, most of the players were made up of newer sophomores and juniors, having this being their first time on the team and making it to CIF their first year on the team was an accomplishment to many of the players. 

“Just really proud, we’re a young team. With a lot of starting sophomores and juniors and just taking over these teams with ECNL girls and top division schools just made it a great season,” Edemann said.