Girls’ Flag Football touching down on their 2024 season

Hart’s newest sports program flag football has officially begun its preparations for their first season next year with tryouts beginning April 15. The program was officially passed December 12, 2023, with Sports Medicine and CTE Body Systems teacher Josh Masmela being selected as head coach.

With tryouts continuing into the following weeks, Masmela is looking forward to building his team and helping the girls get prepared for their upcoming year. 

“I feel confident after our first week of open practice. We’ve had a really good showing of athletes come out and show their interest. We’re still expecting a lot more student-athletes to come out and help us build a winning team for our inaugural season,” Masmela said.

Considering the sport is new to many students, Masmela has been taking the steps to introduce the game and says the girls have been taking their practices well and showing coachability.

“We’ve had open practices to any girls wanting to come out and try a new sport and be part of something special,” Masmela said.

Considering girl’s flag football is officially a CIF sport, the current other schools in the district also building flag football teams are West Ranch, Valencia and Vasquez High School.

“I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but we’re hoping to bring the “Winning Tradition” to girls flag football,” Masmela said.

With their drive, passion and determination, Hart’s flag football team is sure to find success in their upcoming season.