Athlete of the Issue: Gianna Costello

Hart High’s very own Gianna Costello continues to further her impact in both Hart’s athletic and academic programs. Not only is she an astounding athlete, Costello has a bright future ahead of her amidst her academics which prove her to be a double threat. 

Costello, now a captain of the Hart Varsity Girls Soccer Team, is a fierce competitor as she has been a part of the soccer program under the Varsity belt since her freshman year. With soccer as her main sport, Costello has played for nearly a decade, positioning herself as a forward and midfielder. She holds herself to a very high standard and diligently dedicates her time to bettering her craft, practicing Monday through Friday while also participating in the track team. Costello, otherwise known as G, competes on a club soccer team at the ECNL level. Aside from soccer, she has participated in the girls junior varsity basketball team as well as the softball team. 

Her devotion to the game and constant hard work behind the scenes has proven successful, yet, aside from skill training, mental stability plays a key role when playing the game. “The hardest part of soccer is definitely the mental aspect, my physical capabilities are dependent on my mental game. Without a good mentality, there is no confidence. Confidence is key in soccer, whether it’s shooting, passing, defending, attacking, etc. The mental part of the games is the source for all things in soccer and drives success.” 

It is evident that Costello has made a big name for herself, after contributing and scoring key goals in the 2023 CIF playoffs where Hart proved victorious for the division 2 CIF title and the state championship. Her hard work is visible in matches as she always puts her best effort forward no matter what injury or challenges that prevail, G continues to persevere past leaving all she has on the pitch. 

Throughout her athletic journey, G has received pieces of advice that hold much significance in her life in which she hopes to share with other student athletes. “The best pieces of advice that I have been given are that “hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard” as well as “tough times never last, but tough people do.” I believe both pieces of advice can apply to sports and life in general in which I firmly stand by both.” 

There is no doubt that G’s last year at Hart is one for the books as she will step foot on the pitch one last time, in hopes to help her team fight for the CIF and state title once more, but in the division one level.