Prom is losing its charm

High school proms are often anticipated as the pinnacle of teenage social life: a night of glitz, glamor and unforgettable memories. This year, the junior and senior classes of Hart high school were invited to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California for a magical evening under the theme “Fly Me to the Moon.” 

Regarding ticket prices, this year’s prom tickets ranged from $160 to $195. Compared to last year’s $140 to $170, this added an extra expense to the already costly affair.

The venue was strict about the items allowed and prohibited, per the restrictions on federal buildings.

“It should be criminal to send a teenage girl to prom with no lip gloss,” remarked one attendee, echoing the sentiments of many whose personal items were confiscated upon entry. Despite the excitement in the air, the journey to the library wasn’t without its bumps. Seating arrangements inside the auditorium were overseen by staff whose demeanor left much to be desired. The transportation was not the sleek limousines of dreams, but rather aging yellow buses. With no air conditioning and a leisurely pace of 30 miles per hour, what would have been a 40 minute drive stretched into an hour and a half-long journey.

Once inside the Air Force One Pavilion, the atmosphere shifted. Students strolled through President Reagan’s historic aircraft before settling into their tables. The promised culinary delights turned out to be a disappointment, however, as the plentiful food lacked flavor and zest.

Illuminated by twinkling lights and pulsating with energy, the dance floor quickly became the center of the evening’s celebrations. From mosh pits to synchronized dances, students embraced the rhythm of the night, propelled by the beats of the DJ.

Adjacent to the dance floor, a game floor and seating area provided a moment of relaxation. Pool tables and poker tables offered opportunities for friendly competition, while panoramic views from the open terrace provided a stunning backdrop for the night.

Highlighting the evening’s festivities was the crowning of the prom king and queen, Ron-Paul Tamayo and Sophia Parra. As the clock struck 10 p.m., signaling the end of the night, students departed with hearts full of memories and dreams that soared as high as the moon itself.