Lights, camera, action: show choir competition season comes to a close

March 23, Hart show choir’s 2024 competition season drew to a close. The intense five-week period featured many triumphs and was one of the program’s most jam-packed seasons ever.

Hart Encore marked the halfway point, a competition hosted on campus by students and staff. Other schools’ show choirs traveled from near and far for a weekend of performance, friendly rivalry and community. The advanced treble choir Hartbreakers, advanced bass Unleashed and advanced mixed Sound Vibrations all showed exhibition over the two jam-packed days. 

The following weekend, show choir traveled to Los Alamitos High School Xtravaganza. Novice mixed choir Hart n’ Soul took second place Friday March 17. Saturday afternoon, Hartbreakers placed 3rd and Unleashed took second. Saturday evening, show choir history was made: Sound Vibrations received first place in the advanced mixed division for the first time since spring 2020.

“[Winning] felt really healing—to have this group win first place and revel in that, but also to feel nostalgic and know that we won in our hearts for both this year’s Sound Vibes and last year’s,” expressed senior Cadence Walters.

Hart show choir spent their last competition of the season at Cypress High School’s Star Reflections. Hart n’ Soul placed third and advanced groups Hartbreakers and Sound Vibrations both placed first. Hartbreakers also took home best music, best show and best tech for the advanced treble division. 

“It’s really sad to know that it’s over because it’s something that we’ve all been participating in for so long,” said senior Brooke Ewing. “It’s really fun to be able to meet new people and to be able to feel bonded as a group whenever you place or perform on stage. So, I’m going to miss it a lot.”

Hart students can watch these multi-award-winning competition sets at show choir’s Spring Concert May 9 and 11. Unlike previous years, there will not be a Friday (May 10) show because of conflicts with Grad Night. Come support Hart choir and see the graduating seniors’ final show!