Serena’s Column: Luke Hemming’s lyrical genius in upcoming EP

27-year-old singer-songwriter, Luke Hemmings, popularly known as 5 Seconds of Summer’s lead singer, has been working on an upcoming EP titled boy. Being a 5SOS fan for years, this has had me excited since Hemmings announced the EP. boy is a seven track long EP that will be released April 26, 2024 and is the second solo project for Luke Hemmings. The first single of boy was “Shakes”, which was released March 6, 2024. “Shakes” is a pop yet sentimental song that, according to Hemmings, was written on a dreary day in New York. Knowing this information, it truly set the scene for the song in advance to its release.

“Shakes” is a beautifully poetic song. One of my favorite lyrics in the song is “Oh, I can’t help but chase you, my butterfly. I wanna go out in my sleep now. So, I don’t feel no pain. The city tends to move on all the same.” Overall, I believe that “Shakes” was a perfect glimpse into boy.

Later, Luke Hemmings released his second single of boy, “Close My Eyes” , April 5, 2024. “Close My Eyes” is similar to “Shakes” in the sense that it’s a sentimental song, however it has a more upbeat rhythm while “Shakes” has a more melancholy beat. One of my favorite lyrics from “Close My Eyes” is, “Now I don’t wanna close my eyes. See everything I’ve ever done. I won’t look back until it’s gone.” Altogether, “Close My Eyes” and “Shakes” are both lyrically genius in my opinion.

Moreover, Luke Hemmings will also be touring. The tour is called “Nostalgia For A Time That Never Existed” and it will begin May 4, 2024. I will be attending the Los Angeles show that occurs June 5, 2024. I am looking forward to the concert, as I am a big fan. 

While there still are a few more days left until the entire EP is released, I can confidently report that boy will be an outstanding EP. I look forward to its release as it embarks on a new chapter of Luke Hemmings musical career.