The rise of country music

Country music over the past year has skyrocketed in popularity. Singers including Beyoncé and Lana Del Rey have announced their shifts to country straying away from their typical pop and alternative genres. 

Not only have artists developed a fondness of country, but audiences have as well. Country music was previously universally hated, now the western tunes have climbed the charts. 

I have experienced a newfound appreciation for country music myself. I was definitely one of the people who swore up and down they would never be caught listening to country now my playlists are filled with it!

Country artists have witnessed a massive surge in their listeners, and the depth of the audience growing as well. Country has become more mainstream now than ever. 

Although listeners have become more accepting of country, the genre itself has not been putting out the same treatment. Beyoncé released one of two singles “Texas Hold ‘Em”, off her upcoming country album. She has been receiving backlash regarding her race and a wave of unacceptance for her transformation. 

There are bound to be times for adaptations when something becomes popular among the masses. Gatekeeping a genre of music will not stimulate growth upon the category. Music is meant for everyone, the pointless attempts to keep any person away from it will only result in failure in the end.