The future for the SCV Swap Meet

Santa Clarita is a hotspot for small businesses, which is especially apparent every Sunday morning down at the Saugus Swap Meet. Vendors sell a wide variety of random trinkets and handmade crafts. The bustling location is a hotspot for vendors looking to fuel their personal hustles, and the Saugus Swap Meet functions as a fun weekend outing for both families and friends.

Unfortunately, the future of the Saugus Swap Meet is looking uncertain, as a movie studio, Shadowbox Studios, has plans for a mixed-use partnership deal, jeopardizing those who rely on the Swap Meet for income. 

The Saugus Swap Meet has been open since 1963, when they hosted their first outdoor vendor business. Some of the current vendors have been selling at the raceway since it first opened. 

Vendors sell everything from baseball cards, large geodes, earrings, necklaces clothes. and action figures. Many of these sellers rely on the Saugus Swap Meet for their source of income as a source to sell their products. 

In a phone interview with the Signal, the owner of the Saugus Swap Meet, Doug Bonelli, stated that the future of the Swap Meet past March 31 is up in the air. Bonelli denied rumors being spread on social media that it would shut down permanently on the 31. 

With this disappointing news, many vendors are being forced to pack up shop and find new locations to sell. When asked about their own personal futures as vendors, many were unsure about where the next opportunity would fall. 

However, many other vendors commented on the success of their online stores on sites such as eBay, Depop and Etsy as temporary solutions to the space that the longtime flea market will leave in the small business community of Santa Clarita. 

The Saugus Raceway Swap Meet has been a staple in the Santa Clarita community since it opened. After it closes, it will certainly leave an empty spot awaiting the next opportunity for independent vendors selling their wares. But for now, make sure to visit the Saugus Swap Meet soon before the vendors permanently pack up shop.