The 2024 Golden Globes

The 2024 Golden Globes
Wikimedia Commons

On the seventh of January 2024, the 81st Golden Globe Awards were held at The Beverly Hilton, hosted by Jo Koy, a comedian and actor. There were multiple awards, but the most honorable ones were Drama Motion Picture, Original Score, Animated Feature Film, Drama TV Series, Cinematic and Box Office Achievement.

Oppenheimer, directed by Christopher Nolan, won the award for Drama Motion Picture. This seemed very well deserved as Opphenheimer tackled a real-world topic: the birth of the atomic bomb. The film also won the award for Best Musical Score, Christopher Nolan won the award for Best Director, Cillian Murphy won Best Actor and Robert Downey Jr. won Best Supporting Actor. 

Barbie, directed by Greta Gerwig, won the Cinematic and Box Office Achievement Award, which seemed well deserved. It had a strong message of gender social norms, informing the viewers that leadership begins with accepting who they are and being proud instead of wanting to change.

The Bear, created by Christopher Storer, won Musical or Comedy TV Series. The show is about a young chef returning to his home, in Chicago, to run his family sandwich shop after an unexpected death in his family, the chef must balance the business and his relationships with his family. The show has a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.6 out of 10 on IMDb, with many five-star reviews.

Overall, the Golden Globes was a mediocre show, it was neither great, nor borderline terrible, but it was still bad. For starters, Jo Koy as the host was not good. His jokes were lazy, and it just felt awkward. A lot of articles have labeled the Golden Globe as a disaster, while they aren’t entirely wrong, it’s not completely a disaster. It was entertaining to watch and see movies being recognized for their achievements. It had many flaws, but the winning productions and performers were great.