This is your sign to join ASL club

Every Thursday in room T-210, American Sign Language (ASL) club hosts its weekly meeting. Picked up by George Cobbs, a sophomore and ASL student, the American Sign Language club aims towards making ASL fun to learn, and easy to perfect. When George enrolled in ASL, he was quick to realize that learning the language was way more gratifying than it sounds, going as far as only communicating with sign language when in class, and outside as well.

“When I started ASL 1, I thought it would be interesting to start a club for everyone. People can learn about the language and have fun doing it” said Cobbs.

New members are always welcome, as you don’t need to already be in ASL class to learn it. George wanted to take a more casual approach to learning sign language; using games and demonstrations to make the experience more enjoyable. Most ASL club members already know enough of the language to teach it to new members as well. Gavin Locke, a sophomore and long time ASL club member highly appreciates the welcoming environment. 

“In the ASL club we communicate in sign, it’s a fun environment, cool people, and our adviser (Mr. Archer) is really nice; it’s a fun place to be in” Said Locke. 

Besides being a casual experience for newcomers, Mr. Archer, the advisor of ASL club provides access to websites and textbooks for additional information on American Sign Language to use at your own convenience during club meetings, making the learning part easier.