Get to know the AP Art class at Hart

Unknown classes—every school has them. Some may seem boring, too hard or just seem uninteresting and may be best left as unknown, but not AP Art. The new course is taught by Hart’s very own Rachelle Haddoak, best known as the Ceramics teacher. To take the new and exciting class, a student is required to have one year of art experience (though two is ideal). If that’s not possible, candidates can submit a portfolio of their work to be approved by Haddock. 

“A normal day in class would be getting ready for your exam—a portfolio you work on all year, with at least 15 artworks that would be based around a sustained investigation,” Haddock said. “The Final is a portfolio with 15 artworks of the sustained investigation, along with 5 artworks of your best work.” Taking a step to grow as a person can be nerve racking, whether it’s in or out of school. In AP Art, students grow as artists and humans—the sustained investigation helps students find themselves. AP Art allows students to create their portfolios about anything they are passionate about. “Students can explore any topic that is important to them; anything that defines them as a person,” Haddock said. 

AP Art also helps students get ready for college: they can show their completed portfolio to colleges or art schools. Taking the class will only benefit Hart students. So, this following year, take a step towards self-improvement and sign up for AP Art.