Mean Girls is so fetch!

Mean Girls is so fetch!

Mean Girls is a classic everyone seems to know, from whether it be from actually watching the movie, to hearing some of the most iconic scenes on social media platforms, like Instagram or TikTok. 

This past weekend I went to see the new Mean Girls movie musical. Going into the theater I knew that nothing could top the original movie, the same goes for most remakes in recent years. While overall the movie was pretty decent, there were a few parts that stood out to me; in both good and bad ways. 

One of the most incredible things about the movie was the performances given by the cast- Reneé Rapp, who plays Regina, and Auli’i Cravalho, who plays Janis, gave incredible performances, both musically and as an actress in general. Some of the more important songs that they sang were “World Burn”, one of Regina’s iconic songs from the musical, and “I’d Rather Be Me,” an incredible song with amazing vocals. Besides Reneé and Auli’i the rest of the cast gave great performances, Avantika’s performance of “Sexy” and the halloween party scene was probably one of my favorite moments from the movie. 

Of course as the movie came out this past year, many of the jokes that were iconic in the original movie were cut from the newer version. There were also many lyric changes in many of the songs, and a few of the songs had a sadder, more emo tone instead of the more upbeat tone in the musical.

A few of the scenes made me cringe and gave me lots of second hand embarrassment, but overall I enjoyed the movie. Of course like all other movies, some things could have been changed, like the costumes and using some of the older jokes from the movie. However there are many positive things about the movie, including a surprise cameo. Overall I would give this movie a three and a half out of five, as I enjoyed the movie but some things could’ve been better.