Get to know Hart’s new math teacher Mr. Underwood

At Hart High School, few of our students enjoy the arithmetic and mathematical activities that our qualified teachers hold within the classroom. Although some students at Hart may have difficulty understanding an obstacle that most teachers provide during a course unit, they always try to find the fun and enthusiasm in it. 

One of our many qualified teachers that make our mathematics education feel this way is Mr. Underwood in room M-7. He is not only our Personal Finance teacher, but also teaches Algebra as well. This is his first year teaching at Hart and continues to learn from none other than his best colleagues in the math department.

“I was at Castaic last year and taught in Northern CA for 5 years before moving to the SCV. I actually decided to become a teacher when I was almost 30. Math has always come easily to me so I knew I would have a job,” says Underwood. “For high school, I really did not like it at all. I did not have many friends and was more of a social outcast. The hardest obstacle that I had to go through was having the motivation to do it. I did not have anyone in my family to guide my sense of direction for after high school. I just wanted to get out and work.” 

During his time here at Hart, he continues to communicate more in the math department and describes it as “knowledgeable and loves their students.” He goes on to say how Hart has become a safe environment and a welcoming place for all. 

Underwood offered words of encouragement and a piece of advice for the graduating class of 2024. “I would say to not be afraid of pursuing some kind of education after high school. College and other adult schools are so different from high school. You don’t have the drama of high school and you can choose a path you enjoy. I think it is best for every graduate to take advantage of the first two years of free college in CA and explore career paths. Also, remember that life is all about mistakes and we should never be afraid to make them. They are how we grow and learn,” Underwood affirmed.