Sassy Sports Med

Josh Masmela, athletic trainer and teacher at Hart High School, has been a part of the Sports Medicine program for about eight years now. Sports Medicine strives to provide an internship-like experience for students who are interested in pursuing a career in the medical field. The athletic trainer and student members attend Hart sports games and provide water for the athletes and medical assistance and evaluation if an injury occurs. 

Despite the many different injuries that arise, “the most difficult injuries we have seen and evaluated are definitely concussions,” Masmela states, “or like recently, when athletes bb de might have a potential neck injury.” 

Offering the hands-on experience of assisting the athletic trainer during sports games provides students with preparation for college and allows for learning that could potentially influence or entirely determine their future career. 

“Sports Medicine is what I look forward to at school. We go from learning in the classroom to putting what we learned into action, along with a few bonuses. The Sports Med teacher, Josh Masmela, is great and so is our athletic trainer Jon. We get to meet the athletes and have a blast getting to know them,” explains Abigail Frink, a member of Sports Medicine and current junior at Hart.

A bright future awaits the Sports Medicine program as new students join each year, continuing to grow and develop the team. Past interns have helped to create a pathway for exploration and developed the program into what it is today.  Each intern works diligently to assist any athletes in need and strives to learn more each day. 

“We have an all-inclusive set of interns, who put a lot of time and effort into the program. The best part is having fun throughout all of it. We have responsibilities, stressful moments and real-time emergencies, but we help each other through them as a team. Having the ability to help the dedicated athletes at Hart is a wonderful opportunity that I am glad to take part in,” Frink details further.

Future students are encouraged to join Sports Medicine to further enhance their high school experience, create new bonds with fellow students and provide a reference for what they might be interested in for their future. 

“Just take it; you won’t regret it,” Masmela advises.