Nashville shooting marks 19th school shooting of 2023

March 27, 2023, a mass shooting occurred at The Covenant School affiliated with a Presbyterian church in Nashville, Tennessee. This marks the 19th school shooting that has occurred in 2023 alone. The shooter was 28-year-old Audrey Hale, who had attended The Covenant School. Hale killed six people in total. The victims include nine-year-old Evelyn Dieckhaus, nine-year-old Hallie Scuggs, nine-year-old William Kinney, 60-year-old Katherine Koonce, head of the school, 61-year-old Cynthia Peak, a substitute teacher, and 61-year-old Mike Hill a custodian at the school. 

The attack was a calculated one; Hale drew a map of the school and writings about the plans, according to AP news. The shooter carried several weapons, including a handgun and two assault-style guns. According to the New York Times, the shooter purchased seven guns legally at five different local stores and stashed them around their home. The incident lasted for 14 minutes before officers arrived and shot Hale. While the motive is unknown, Hale lived in the area and suffered from an emotional disorder.  

This shooting caused a rupture from students across the United States. Walkouts were organized by Students Demand Action, an activist group that aims to end gun violence. Students from elementary to high school participated in the walkouts.