CRISPR is something out of Science fiction novel

Advancements in medical sciences can be boiled down to a singular goal; to cure and overcome diseases. Diseases are portrayed as “battles,” and those who come up with cures for foes such as cancer and diabetes are regarded as heroes. But when we are presented with a solution that can potentially win every war, it’s not the utopian answer that we might think it is. 

CRISPR is a segment of DNA found in prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria and archaea. The CRISPR sequence functions in detecting and destroying foreign invaders within these prokaryotes by acting as an adaptive immune system within the cell.

Where it differs from eukaryotes’ antibody reliant immune system is that instead of detecting foreign proteins on invading cells; CRISPR seeks out specific DNA sequences and destroys only that section of the DNA. 

Scientists have been experimenting with CRISPR because of the specificity of its tracking function; utilizing it as a DNA “editing tool” that can cut out and destroy the sections of DNA that cause genetic diseases, such as sickle cell anemia and diabetes. Although it is still in the testing phases, CRISPR is very close to becoming a reality in the medical world.

The issue with CRISPR is that once its technology is sophisticated enough, gene editing might be as easy as a click, drag, and delete feature that you might find on a google doc. Once we’re able to do that, then where do we draw the line when it comes to genetic editing?  

The debate with CRISPR isn’t black and white. Theoretically, complete use of CRISPR would mean that anyone can edit any feature about themselves, leading to a world of copy-and-paste perfect features and even personalities and intelligence for those who can afford it. 

But, a complete ban of the gene technology would mean that those who suffer from chronic genetic diseases will have to face a future of no solutions for their condition. Essentially, they would be abandoned based on a fear that sounds straight out of a science fiction movie. 

If it becomes a utilized tool in the medical world, then CRISPR needs to be strictly regulated so its capabilities don’t get out of hand. It’s important for scientists to consider the consequences of medication and treatment options before introducing them to the public. Solutions that appear to be a complete fix for everything are often too good to be true.