Stop scrolling and stop sharing…it’s censorship time

Social media has grown to become a part of most everyone’s everyday life. Scrolling has become a mundane and mindless way to distract you from reality. In hindsight, the volume to which social media has expanded may seem beneficial which is not false in most cases. 

We are humans, so over indulgence in day to day things is not easily avoidable. In the present, children as young as in the third grade are getting cell phones, but not only that, gaining access to social media platforms. 

Younger generations are at direct risk to struggling with mental illness due to the over consumption of social media. Facetune and editing are at people’s fingertips and accessibility is too simple. Deciphering what is real and what is fake is not a game that should even be present on social media. Children are vulnerable to cyberbullying and predators so according measures could only be positive. 

Though social media is a space for individuals to express themselves freely, the harmful and inappropriate content should be filtered through. Censorship is a slippery slope but so is hate-based posting. Not only that, but encouraging competition through users deepens the divide between those who have differing opinions. The separation between races, religion and political parties is already tremendously detrimental. 

Misinformation has additionally developed problems amongst news. It is crucial for pressing matters to be publicized as truth. As a whole, content moderation could allow the public to steer clear of any accidental emergencies. 

Privacy and data protection is another pro to social media becoming censored. Platforms already take advantage of users maliciously but government intervention will maintain a secure online environment.