The recent trends of regression in the U.S

It seems that recently the United States has been doing absolutely nothing except almost going backwards. 

And I’m not just talking about the economy but also about basic human rights. Take the Supreme Court case of Roe v. Wade, for example. Almost half of the entire states of America have banned abortion or are more likely to do so. Compared this to France, where the country has just completely legalized abortion for all women. Roe v. Wade was passed in January of 1973, yet now in the early 2020s, our government is going against it all over again. Another example of this trend of regression is “The Pink Tax”, where an additional tax is placed upon regular tax for women’s menstrual items. It’s found that women spend up to an additional $1,300 yearly compared to men just because of this tax. Even in 2024, there is so much harsh inequality against women in almost every situation or part of society. We especially can’t forget the gender pay gap, where women are still continuously making 16% less amount of money compared to men. Why is it that we are being put so far behind men just because we are a different gender? Since the start of time, men have always felt inferior when women are placed equal to them, fearing that we would “take over”; when in reality, we just want the same amount of respect and fairness that they receive.

The U.S. government is where our country seems to be lacking the most. Our government is majorly corrupted and the public has little to no impact when it comes to decisions about our society are being made. Today, the Electoral College is almost entirely unnecessary and doesn’t accurately represent our country’s wanting candidate. It leaves the popular vote with little to no effect when it should be a higher considering factor as it represents what our citizens need from their leader and government.

Also lacking in our government is the justice system. Many criminals have gotten very little jail time due to their higher economic class. They’ve been able to easily pay their way out of jail when they still should be in prison, while more innocent people who have less money and are under-represented are viewed as more guilty and end up serving more time than they deserve.

The U.S. is regressing in so many ways. As the next adult generation, we need to put in our part to make a difference for the better.