Ron DeSantis bows out of race for Republican nomination, Trump and Nikki Haley trade blows

Following the January 15 Iowa caucus, Republican Ron DeSantis dropped out of the running for the party’s 2024 presidential nomination, leaving only Former President Trump and Nikki Haley in the race. In the Iowa caucus, Trump received 20 delegates, DeSantis received nine and Haley received eight. As a consequence of DeSantis bowing out of the race, Haley and Trump went head-to-head in the New Hampshire primary: Trump gained 12 delegates and Haley gained nine.

In order to win the Republican nomination, a prospective candidate must win at least 1,215 delegates, or just over half of the total 2,429 Republican delegates. Many people—including various pundits, Joe Biden and Trump himself—believe that Trump will win the nomination in the end. The former president even went so far as to urge Haley to drop out of the race.

“Could somebody please explain to Nikki that she lost — and lost really badly. She also lost Iowa, BIG, last week. They were, as certain non-fake media say, ‘CRUSHING DEFEATS,’” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Haley, on the other hand, has decided to remain firmly in the race, believing that she can revitalize the traditional Republican crowd: moderates, independents, those who voted for the Bushes and the like.

The Democratic party’s presidential candidate will almost certainly be President Biden, as is usually the case for incumbent presidents. So far, Biden has received wide support, winning New Hampshire’s unsanctioned primary while not even on the ballot.

Although it is too early to officially declare Trump and Biden as the presidential candidates, most pundits from both sides of the political spectrum agree that the 2024 presidential election will most likely be a rematch of Trump and Biden.