Minneapolis mayor vetoes bill that would afford minimum wage to Uber drivers

Uber and Lyft, two of America’s biggest ride sharing services, often aren’t forced to pay their drivers minimum wage.

Under the extent of the law, rideshare drivers are seen as gig workers and aren’t entitled to minimum wage payment. However, some cities such as New York have implemented wages as high as $17.96 an hour.

With the topic of minimum wage for rideshare drivers becoming more prominent in the United States, Minneapolis has been working towards passing legislation which would require drivers to earn similar wages as New York or Seattle-based drivers. 

However, as of August 22, this was vetoed by Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey after 8 months of work was put into the canceled legislation. 

“In the coming weeks, we will work in partnership with all stakeholders to do our homework, deliberate and make sure we put together an ordinance that is data-driven and clearly articulates policies based on known impacts, not speculation,” Frey said Tuesday night. 

The veto making the situation more contentious among the city council in Minneapolis is seen as a betrayal to residents.  

“Ready to abandon any commitment to living wages or worker’s rights under pressure of lobbying by multi-billion dollar out-of-state corporations” said council Member Robin Wonsley. 

While Frey’s veto of the minimum wage legislation has created a heated debate in the city of Minneapolis, in his veto message he softens the blow announcing an agreement with Uber but not Lyft. 

“Drivers picking up passengers in Minneapolis or driving within the city will make the city’s minimum wage of $15 an hour,” reported the Associated Press. 

While the state of minimum wage for these rideshare drivers is up in the air, many are hoping Minneapolis will follow suit with Seattle and New York to provide minimum wage in these major cities for rideshare drivers.