Red flag laws are go for improving American safety

Extreme Risk Laws are laws put in place that allow a judge to temporarily remove a person’s access to a gun if they pose a serious risk to themselves or others. So far, 21 states and Washington D.C have enacted versions of these laws. Most states that don’t have these laws in place are typically known as “Red States” which are typically more republican. However, many people have wanted these laws to become federal laws instead of state laws, which makes sense. 

Extreme Risk Laws have many different names in the different states they have been in. They are also called “Red Flag” laws, Gun Violence Restraining Orders (GRVOs), or Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPOs). 

Since these laws are state laws instead of federal laws, the circumstances in which people are reported for being a risk are different. All states allow law enforcement to report high-risk people; however, some states also allow for immediate family members or family members in general. Other states, such as California, Hawaii, Colorado and New York, allow others to report someone. These include coworkers, roommates, teachers and medical professionals. 

In states where these laws have been put in place, they have proven efficient in saving lives. According to studies done in Connecticut, a state with these laws, it has been found that for every 10 to 20 orders that were issued, a life would be saved. In addition, in 44% of cases, the respondent received psychiatric treatment that would not have been possible for them before. In California, from the years 2016-2018, it was found that 21 out of the 159 orders that were issued were able to prevent a mass shooting. 

These laws exist to put a limit on people who are at high risk of hurting themselves or others and then purchase guns or other firearms. The laws intervene, hoping to lower the risk of mass shootings or suicide. Having these laws as federal laws will improve the safety and reputation of America as a whole.