Tick-tock let’s rewind the clock on publishing

Millions of people around the world nowadays rely on social media as their main source of information and day-to-day news, but how accurate is any of it? People may have different opinions and perspectives on this issue. Some may argue that TikTok has ruined news by exposing users to dangerous or misleading information that can inaccurately influence their views and behaviors on serious issues.

Some people criticize TikTok’s algorithm for being too powerful, as it can manipulate what users see and don’t see on their For You Page. Tiktok’s short-formed format could be considered not suitable for delivering complex or fake news stories, and it could mislead users’ attention spans and critical thinking skills.

Others also notice that sources of news on TikTok are more vulnerable to twisted stories and words that they believe their audiences may enjoy or want to hear. Nearly 20% of the videos presented as search results contain misinformation.

In general, the impact of TikTok has captivated almost every single person across the globe. It depends on how users consume and produce content on the platform and how they compare it to other sources of their own choice of news intake. More elderly people rely on news stations such as Fox News, KTLA 5 and even CBS News while more teenagers and young adults get their information from all different kinds of social media such as TikTok, Instagram, and X (Twitter). I agree with the fact that TikTok has ruined publishing and has changed the way we view news information today.