Just in: Our attention spans are too short

It seems that almost every second of every day there is some sort of disaster going on. From deadly seismic earthquakes in Japan to bombings in Yemen, it’s no surprise that we move on to the next big thing before we can even process the first. Though this isn’t entirely our fault, we are still responsible for sympathizing with and understanding people worldwide.

Take the Israel-Palestine war: very few news stations are still currently covering it, considering it “old news,” though crucial announcements are constantly being made by both the Israeli and Palestinian governments. When I asked a friend how much she thought the death toll was for the war, she estimated 1,000 people. The real count so far is just over 25,000. This misconception simply proves how little we are being informed of in this serious world crisis.

The same goes for a recent strike in all 23 California State University facilities in a campaign for staff pay raises. Many educators receive a salary that is constantly fluctuating, affecting their income status and long-term financial goals. In related news, Harvard has had to place several task forces on their campus due to the increasing amount of antisemitic and Islamophobic uprights.

Information is also withheld in other news: western China’s massive 7.1-magnitude earthquakes and landslides have brought a death toll to over 30 people. The influential Greek Orthodox Church proposed to legalize same-sex civil marriages. Ground-breaking news and important announcements are constantly discovered all around the world, but all being shown is entertainment and drama.

We have become so obsessed with gossiping over the findings of flashy and intense acts that give us gossip to spread or rumors to feed off of, that we blatantly ignore the real crises right in front of our naked eye. We need to recognize the importance of bringing our attention to real news so we can make a difference in society for all kinds of people.