Sole reflections: Shoes are getting uglier

Sneakers have heavily influenced today’s culture. A majority of the shoes that we find fashionable today were originally intended for sports activities; Adidas, Nike, and Puma for example. During the golden age of sneakers (1970-1990) sneakers were fresh, appealing, and undoubtedly original. The Adidas Superstar shoes for instance were highly praised during the mid-70s and 80s – dawning the classic Adidas trefoil logo behind the heel, and the unforgettable 3 stripes along the side of the foot. NBA athletes, such as the legendary Lakers center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar swore by the Superstars, sporting them every game on the court.

Since the inception of the Jordans during the late 90s, the purpose of collecting your favorite sneakers has been repopularized. Many people now known as “sneakerheads” pursue the hobby of collecting rare and uncommon shoes – a very expensive hobby. After the release of the Jordan V, shoes have seemingly lost their once clean and sleek appearance. Sneakers are starting to look bizarre. The release of MSCHF Big Red Boots in early 2023 looks outlandishly cartoonish and stupid. However, it is important to remember that they were designed to mimic the Japanese cartoon character “Astro-Boy” and his trademark boots. Hence their awful design.

What makes the idea that sneakers have almost lost their soul worse, is the price in which they retail. Yeezy Boosts bear the same look as swimming shoes, with a retail price of around $230+. In recent years however, the popularity of these once-glorified sneakers has steadily increased, some of these shoes include the Adidas Sambas – which were popular in the 1950s amongst indoor soccer players, and Nike Blazers, which were commonly worn by casual wearers throughout the 1970s. There is a lot to appreciate about sneakers it differs from culture to demographic, birthplace, and origin.