The unseen costs of educational priorities

When parents decide where to send their kids to school, academics are very important to keep in consideration and so are extracurriculars. Imagine walking through a school where it is lively, the majority of the students are involved in something they truly like, teachers lead all kinds of programs and each one is funded to be able to do as they wish. Now, imagine a school where the students want to have these activities and the teachers wish they could provide them for the kids, but unfortunately, the school is financially unable to.

Whether we realize it or not, the school district plays a big role in allowing programs to exist. William S. Hart School District has more money than people may think; however, it chooses to not spend the money funding the school’s programs or extracurricular activities.

According to the district’s financial reports, during the school year of 2022-2023, the “revenues, transfers in, and other financing sources for all funds totaled $406,866,162. Expenses, transfers out, and other uses totaled $405,961,398.” While the district used most of the funds, it still had $904,764 left. There are so many programs throughout the district that could use that kind of money. And yet, the district leaves them hanging.

At Hart High School, some programs get $0 from the district. Some are fighting tooth and nail to stay afloat and the district is able to pitch in and help, but they choose not to. I’m not saying that the district has to use its entire budget but why can’t they use some of it to help others?

The financial reports even show that their total net position increased from the past year. The district is not going broke- they just do not want to help. It is entirely their choice. And every year, the only programs that get money are the ones that make the most for the district. How is that fair if the other programs are not even given a chance? Who knows what other programs could accomplish?

Not to mention, the district is not even paying the teachers what they deserve. Every year the government gives our district a certain amount of money in order to give the teachers a raise. All they ask for is the 8% that they are owed and yet, the district every year refuses.

That money is just being stored when it could be used to help a lot of people and better someone’s financial situation. If they refuse to spend the money on their school’s programs and teachers, what is even the point in having all of it?