The case for free childbirth

Giving birth is already such an emotionally and physically taxing event. On top of that, the literal taxes monetary-wise add a whole new meaning to the word draining in terms of pregnancy. The cost of adding a new life into the world is unbelievable.

Without health insurance, according to Forbes, all the added-up costs of childbirth are upwards of $15,000. Yes, thousands of dollars may be saved for health insurance members, but the out-of-pocket cost is still almost $2,000.

The bill you are left with to pay is also determined by the method in which you choose to deliver your baby. In the state of California, a C-section takes the lead at $1,967, delivery averaging $1,955, and a vaginal birth at $1,949. What if one method would be safer for the mother’s body and they’re left with a more expensive bill and no means to pay it?

Numerous other variables contribute to the cost of pregnancy as well. Prenatal care, hospital stay charges for both the mother and child, medications, and newborn care. And that is not even included in the initial price stated for birth. Not to mention, the cost of the delivery is just the first in a series of major child-bearing expenses to come.

Situations differ from mother to mother as well. Numerous unsafe births occur as a result of the cost of giving birth being too outrageous. Besides negatively impacting not only the mother’s health, this also jeopardizes the baby’s development as well. The risk at which you are putting two lives is simply not worth it. Especially when the issue could be resolved through more coverage of giving birth.

After nine long months of morning sickness, fatigue, constant cravings, carrying around extra weight, and the significant loss of mobility due to the watermelon shape your stomach turns into, freeing new parents from the financial burden is the least the government can do.