The enchanting world of Disney is sad

Flickr

“When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true” sings the iconic Disney tune, and indeed, the magical world of Disney has been synonymous with enchanting tales and adventures.

Yet, behind these heartwarming and daring narratives lies a common thread of bittersweet emotions. Evident in classics like Coco, Frozen and Tarzan, these films intricately weave tales of love, loss and the profound depths of human experience, questioning the idea that every Disney narrative inevitably ends with a happily ever after. 

At the heart of Coco lies the powerful themes of remembrance and the vibrant celebration of family and tradition. The heart-wrenching Remember Me scene is a rollercoaster of emotions, with Miguel singing to his great-grandmother Coco, hoping to restore memories of her father, Hector. The “remember me” theme symbolizes the impact of love and connection beyond the boundaries of life and death. The tears flow as we learn about Hector’s heart-wrenching backstory, revealing the painful separation from his daughter. The movie invites us to reflect on the importance of memories and the profound impact they have on those we leave behind. 

In the icy kingdom of Arendelle, Frozen introduces us to the relationship between sisters Anna and Elsa. While the film does embrace themes of love and self-discovery, it doesn’t shy away from exploring the strains in their sisterhood as Elsa’s powers create a barrier between them. This forces them to confront the challenges of understanding and accepting one another. The emotional depth of Frozen lies in the sacrifices made for the sake of family, emphasizing that love, in all its forms, requires understanding and selflessness. 

Tarzan swings into our hearts with the classic tale of man raised by ape. The tragic death of Tarzan’s parents sets the narrative where Kala steps in as a mother. Tarzan’s journey is one of self-discovery as he fills the void left by Kala’s deceased baby gorilla. The film beautifully explores the idea that family is not solely defined by blood, but by the connection we forge along the way. 

While Disney movies may be renowned for their enchanting tales, it’s essential to recognize the underlying currents of sadness that add emotional depth to these stories. Whether it’s the heartfelt melodies of Coco, the intricate relationships in Frozen, or the jungle drama of Tarzan, Disney invites us to explore the intricacies of life’s emotions.