Show Choir kicks off second semester with Pop Show!

Hart Show Choir

As the second half of the school year begins, Hart Show Choir is preparing in earnest for their upcoming spring competition season. 

The group recently took a weekend retreat to Malibu for some much-needed rehearsal time. Members spent the time singing, dancing and bonding with their teammates, free of distractions from their art.

“[I liked] the Sound Vibes rehearsal where we finally put the entire opener together,” said senior Callum Howard. “Having it all come together—and doing it for us—was honestly the most fun I had.”

The time away from home has given performers a boost in confidence for the upcoming high-stakes competitions.

“I’m getting very excited,” said junior Ryan Baldwin. “Seeing everything get put together is very exciting. We still have a lot to work on, but I can see the vision now.”

That doesn’t mean the next few weeks will be easy, however.

“[Retreat] reality-checked me,” said junior Spencer Smelser, “and I realized I have to put in more effort and work to carry and be good.”

“It definitely opened my eyes a lot to how much more work we need to put in and how much we still need to do and work on,” Baldwin agreed.

Hart Show Choir is set to be featured in several competitions around southern California through late February and all of March. They kick off their season February 23 and will perform every weekend until March 22.

“[It’s] exhausting. Comp season will always be exhausting, doesn’t matter what choir you’re in,” said senior Talia Einaudi.

Before the season starts, Hart students can catch a glimpse of these soon-to-be award-winning sets February 9-10 at Show Choir’s Pop Show. Smaller, non-set acts at this show are entirely student-led—the show will feature several student choreographers, vocal directors and arrangers. Be sure to check out Hart Show Choir at their Pop Show and come back May 9 and 11 to see their full sets at Spring Concert!