Girls’ Volleyball

The Hart girls varsity volleyball team has made it very far in their Foothill and CIF season. The team wrapped up their season with a loss to Campbell Hall in the quarterfinals on October 25. 

Previously, the team faced off against Yucaipa and Saint Margaret’s to advance farther in the Division 3 postseason.

After completing a very successful season in the league where the girls took first place, it was very important to understand their upcoming competition as they began CIF. 

“We watched a lot of film on the teams we were going to play. We made sure we were adjusting our defense and plays based on the teams to help us prepare for what we were going to see in our future CIF games,” said junior defensive specialist Alana Kagoan. 

Hart went on to win their match against Yucaipa in three straight sets, with a final score of 25-10, 25-16 and 25-13. The Hart seniors showed their dominance in their match up against Yucaipa, with senior Madison Maxwell finishing the night off with 17 kills and senior libero Alexis Holloway with 13 digs.

Hart then hit the road to play Saint Margaret’s in their second round game of CIF, resulting in a 3-1 win for the Indians with a final score of 25-16, 22-25, 25-16 and 25-15. Although the Saint Margaret’s Tartans took a set off of the Hart team it was a strong night for the Hart girls. Senior setter Morgan Dumlao had 40 assists, along with a combined 38 kills from senior outsides Maiah Jiz and Madison Maxwell and 31 digs from Alexis Holloway.

Going into their first quarterfinal appearance in five years, the Hart Indians knew their opponent the Campbell Hall Vikings, would be their toughest competition yet. 

“We did know that Campbell Hall was a better team compared to the other two teams we had played before, but we were still really excited to play against them,” said Kagoan.

With a 3-1 win, Campbell Hall defeated the Indians and ended their season with a final score of 20-25, 25-19, 25-19 and 25-21. Although Campbell Hall began with a slow start, they found their footing and eventually finished off the game with a 8-0 run to beat the Hart Indians.

“After the game was pretty tough. Everyone was crying and it just was a really emotional event for the whole team. It was hard to process that our season was over,” said Kagoan.

Although their season didn’t come to the end desired by the Hart team, the accomplishments they achieved throughout their season exemplify what an exceptional group of players they are. 

“Coach Mary told us how well we grew this season and how we didn’t just grow stronger skill wise, but within our relationship as a team as well,” said Kagoan. 

No matter the final outcome of the Hart girls varsity volleyball season, their 2023 season was one to remember.