Is Taylor Swift Overrated?

Before I start, let me get one thing clear. I mean no offense to anyone, because I know exactly how Taylor Swift’s music is and the impact it has on this generation especially. Taylor Swift is public and open about her relationships and personal problems. But she is what a lot of artists now are not: honest. Not only does she share her experiences, but she is relatable and doesn’t hide behind a smoke screen. Taylor Swift’s lyrics have helped a lot of people going through a heartbreak, life or a personal matter. It’s catchy and will get stuck in your head for hours; it will make you dance and sing to the top of your lungs. But just because we can have good times with the music and relating to a really big celebrity does not mean it’s always good music. 

Taylor Swift is overrated. Not because I don’t relate to her like everyone else does. It’s because she is called a lyrical genius, when she isn’t. The topics Swift sings and/or talks about are deep, but no thought really goes into her lyrics. Sometimes it’s plain nonsense. For example, she tries to rhyme things in “Cruel Summer” that don’t really rhyme or really make an impact on the song.  Taylor Swift also has a tendency to humorously criticize herself and other people. It’s funny, but it isn’t lyrical genius. She just sticks to the same stuff everyone else does. In other words, Swift has turned into another “copy-paste” singer. Copy-paste means that her music has become repetitive, in the sense that it’s about the same thing with the same words, just said differently.

So even if I like her music, as much as probably every teenage girl, Taylor Swift is most definitely hyped up for qualities her music doesn’t have. It could have those in the future, but right now, it sounds like everything else that is on the radio. A big star like her should be praised and looked up to for things that she has actually achieved, not just because she said something funny.