Inter Miami Messi Final

July 21 2021, Lionel Messi finally debuted for Inter Miami of MLS. Since he started  playing in the European Leagues, it’s safe to say that Messi has changed MLS, and now the future of the Inter Miami team, for the better. Prior to Messi joining the team, Inter Miami could be seen at 19th place with an eleven game losing streak in the Leagues Cup Tournament. 

In his debut match against Cruz Azul, Messi was substituted in after half-time, causing fans in the stadium to roar out of pure excitement. Inter Miami fans, and even most of the opposing team’s fans, were in disbelief as they watched every touch and play he contributed to. He is arguably the greatest player of all time. He played in the United States, playing for a last place team and completely changed the game in the best way possible. Minute 93 was a moment in time that everyone will remember: Messi’s free kick buried a ball in the top left corner, winning the match for Inter Miami and solidifying their first win after their losing streak. 

In the next match of the tournament, Messi and Inter Miami faced Atlanta United. In minute 8, his previous FC Barcelona teammate Sergio Busquets gave a beautiful pass through defense straight to Messi, which he, of course, delivered into the net. Soon after (minute 22), Robert Taylor found Messi in the box, scoring his second goal of the match. The team went on to score two more goals, both by Robert Taylor, winning the match 4-0. In the next match against Orlando City, Messi once again led the team to victory, scoring two goals. One was assisted by Robert Taylor and the other assisted by Josef Martinez, who also contributed to the match by scoring one goal minute 51 of the game. 

Prior to the quarterfinals, the team faced FC Dallas in a tight-scoring match, ending the game with a penalty kick shoot-out. To start off the match, Messi set the tone by scoring minute 6 , assisted by fellow FC Barcelona teammate Jordi Alba. Minute 37, FC Dallas leveled the playing field as Facundo Quignón scored to tie the match 1-1. Soon after, minute 45, Bernard Kamingo of Dallas scored, making it 2-1. After halftime, FC Dallas midfielder Alex Velasco scored their third goal of the match. Down by two in the second half, Inter Miami substituted in Benjamin Cremaschi, who quickly scored on Jordi Alba’s assist. With the intensity of the match quickly increasing on both sides, Inter Miami scored another goal – except in their own net. However, minute 80, Messi received a free kick which resulted in an own-goal by FC Dallas. Minute 85, Messi free-kicked yet again, burying the ball deep in the top right corner and tying the game 4-4 with minutes left in the match. Inter Miami eventually defeated FC Dallas in an impressive penalty kick shootout, with Benjamin Cremaschi putting an end to the long match. 

In the semifinals against Philadelphia, Inter Miami won 4-1 to move on to the championship match against a strong Nashville FC team. Minute 23 of this intense match, with both teams having high ball possession rates, Messi scored what seemed to be the game decider, putting Miami on the board 1-0. However, minute 57, Fafà Picault of Nashville FC tied the match, sending both teams into a nerve-racking penalty shootout. The shootout appeared to be in Miami’s favor, since all four Miami players scored while Nashville FC missed one.  Unfortunately, Victor Ulloa of Miami’s penalty kick was blocked, sending both teams into another round of the shootout. Both teams’ players could not seem to miss their P.K.s; therefore, both teams’ goalies had to shoot. Drake Callender, goalie for Inter Miami, blasted the ball into the back of the net as he prepared for the opposing team’s shot. Callender made the game-winning save from Elliot Panicco’s boot, winning Inter Miami their first team title and The League Cup. 

There is an exciting future ahead for the Inter Miami club. With Messi, dynamics have shifted: he really has taken what was once a last place team and set them up for extreme success. Messi’s magic is not yet over, as he makes his regular season MLS debut.