Spain vs. England Women’s World Cup Final

In summer 2023, Spain’s womens’ soccer team fought to bring home the World Cup Championship of 2023. 

After coming in second in their bracket behind Japan, Spain qualified for Round 16 even after a 4-0 loss to Japan. They faced off against Switzerland, defeating them 5-1. Players Aitiana Bonmati, Alba Redondo, Laia Codina and Jennifer Hermoso were the finishers of the game, with Bonmati scoring two goals. 

In the quarterfinals, Spain participated in a tight match against the Netherlands, only winning 2-1. Mariona Caldentey put Spain in the lead, 1-0, in minute 80 of the match. Soon after, in minute 91 of the match, Netherlands player Stefanie van der Gragt buried the ball in the back of the net to tie the game and send the match into overtime. Salma Celeste Paralluelo Ayingono of Spain broke the tie with a goal in minute 111 which resulted in being the deciding play of the game. 

August 15, Spain headed to the semi-finals against Sweden, where they again won 2-1. In another very close match, Spain’s Ayingono delivered the first goal in minute 81 of the game (with only about 10 minutes remaining). However, in the minute 88, Sweden evened the playing field, with Rebecca Blomqvist tying the game. Very soon after, with seconds left to spare, Olga Carmona of Spain delivered the game-winning goal in minute 89. 

The championship match took place on August 20: Spain versus England. Both teams were evenly matched, with the score differential only being one. Carmona of Spain delivered once again for her country in minute 29. After many missed opportunities from both ends, Carmona’s goal ended being the only goal scored that match and the game decider. Spain was crowned the Women’s World Cup 2023 Champions.