The New Bell Schedule

As a senior, I have experienced four bell schedule changes, but I believe that this version is a decent change and better than last year. Last year, the day ended at 3:30 p.m., which I found incredibly annoying.

Now, we still start late, but the day ends at 3:01 p.m. Classes are shorter and now there is one united brunch instead of two split brunches. This is the perfect schedule to have an open sixth period; being able to leave at 2:05 is definitely a perk. Leaving after fourth period just feels like a cheat.

I wouldn’t say last year was bad, it was just the worst out of all of the schedules. The combined brunch is good. At first, I was skeptical, but it grew on me after the third day, especially since I always spend brunch in a classroom which is now better as there would be no class interruptions.

It also fixes the Hart TV problem, as the classes after brunch last year would be informed of brunch events after they happened, due to having brunch before class.

Classes are now five minutes shorter, which most teachers are not a fan of as it removes time for warm-ups. This is both good and bad: good because shorter classes remove the warm-ups that teachers do. Teachers might like doing warm-ups but I would rather skip them. Shorter classes are also bad because if there are projects that can only be done in class, your work time is shorter. An example would be ceramics, where all projects are done in class, so the shorter classes force students to be more mindful with their time.

There is also the seventh period, which is just for sports, and I think it’s good to add it. It stops teachers from working more than teachers at other Hart district schools and it’s also used as a loophole to shorten the school day.