Cheering their way to the top of CIF

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cheering their way to the top of CIF

Bella Sandoval, Staff Writer

Although Hart Cheer is mostly commonly known for spirit and ability to involve their student section in the cheers, they will now add a competitive cheer team.Although Hart Cheer is mostly commonly known for spirit and ability to involve their student section in the cheers, they will now add a competitive cheer team.

In the past years Hart High has had a successful competition season.Such as in 2014-2015 when they competed in Orlando, Florida for the Universal Cheerleaders Association, National High School Cheerleading Championship and 2011 Universal Spirit Association High School Cheerleading Championship.

On October 7, 2015 Governor Brown signed off that in the 2017-2018 school year Competition Cheer would be introduced into the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF). CIF sports include football, basketball, tennis, volleyball, soccer, swimming, cross country, track, lacrosse and other sports. “This year I’m excited that I will have a chance to get to know more girls because the team is made up of girls from each squad. I think it will be a fun way to really be able to share everyone’s diverse talents.” said Taylor Meck, senior varsity captain.

Hart Competition Cheer will now differentiate from original sideline cheer. While there will still be the typical game day cheerleaders, now there will be another team stepping onto the mat for the first time December 2. Competitive cheer is when cheer teams compete against each other performing a two and a half minute routine with music that includes stunts, jumps, tumbling, dance and cheers.

“Now that we are CIF I’m not sure what to expect. I believe the only changes that could happen will be minor and for the better. It could make us a better team in the end. I’m excited though, now that we are CIF, cheer is officially recognized as a sport at Hart,” Meck said.

CIF adding competitive cheer to the spectrum of sports will offer many athletes equal opportunities in the sports world.