Operation Varsity Blues scandal busted

Back to Article
Back to Article

Operation Varsity Blues scandal busted

GOT EM: Founder of Edge College and Career Network, William Rick Singer, was accused and ultimately pleaded guilty to accepting bribes in exchange for admission to college.

foxnews.com

foxnews.com

foxnews.com

Claire Moylan, Features Editor

The college admission scandal began with William “Rick” Singer, a college consultant who ran Key Worldwide Foundation and The Edge College & Career Network (The Key), who received money from celebrities and other wealthy members of society to bribe college officials and test proctors in order to get their children into some of the top schools in America. Some of these parents included Full House actress Lori Loughlin and Desperate Housewives actress Felicity Huffman.

Coaches accepted bribes from Singer and allowed students with faked athletic credentials to join their respective sports teams. Some of these coaches include: men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo (UCLA), put on leave then resigned; men’s water polo coach Jovan Vavic (USC), fired; Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, pled guilty and fired. Additionally, parents would doctor photos of athletes and place their kids faces on the bodies to fake athletic credentials. After altering photos, the coaches would then recruit the student onto the team. Many of these coaches have been fired, put on leave or have resigned.

Singer also worked with psychologists to help fake and cheat SAT and ACT test scores and cheat on admission tests. The psychologists faked mental and learning disabilities, so the children would be able to have extra time and have one-on-one sessions with test proctors. Some of these strategies were done with students knowing the circumstances, but on occasion students would be unaware of the tests being altered.

“In federal court, Rick Singer pleaded guilty to racketeering, money laundering, conspiracy to defraud the United States and obstruction of justice,” said the NPR article “At Least 50 People Charged In College Admissions Scandal.”

As a result of this scandal, many news organizations as well as the American people have been commenting on how broken the college admissions system is. Many are examining the motives of these parents and how selective collegiate organizations have become in the college admissions process.