Every 15 Minutes reminds us about the dangers of unsafe and reckless driving

EVERY 15 MINUTES: Senior Cassidy Block stands solemnly as one of the “walking dead” for the Every 15 Minutes simulation. Block is just one of the many “walking dead” that  were part of the assembly that taught about the dangers of reckless driving.

EVERY 15 MINUTES: Senior Cassidy Block stands solemnly as one of the “walking dead” for the Every 15 Minutes simulation. Block is just one of the many “walking dead” that were part of the assembly that taught about the dangers of reckless driving.

Alyssa Sykes, Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 12 and Wednesday, March 13, Hart High held the Every 15 Minutes program sponsored by the local law enforcement along with many other businesses. This program demonstrates the importance of driving safely. This includes not driving while looking at a phone or being under the influence of alcohol. Every 15 Minutes includes multiple simulations, assemblies and students volunteering as the “walking dead” to make the experience seem more realistic.

“This experience was very eye opening and showed us all how real the consequences can be, even when we think we are totally safe. It doesn’t always have to be your fault, it could be the people around you,” said Kendall De La Vega, one of the “walking dead.”

Seeing people with different stories uniting to express one message was truly inspiring and powerful. Many different people were involved in the simulation and went through what it would feel like to be a victim of a driving tragedy.

“It had a very emotional impact on me and those two days for all of us. It was filled with crying, but also created a connection amongst all of us that brought us close. It allowed us to appreciate the lessons we learned as well as the opportunities we have ahead of us,” De La Vega said.

Some of the other student volunteers were involved in a simulation reenacting the aftermath of a car accident. These kids, such as the “drunk driver,” learned their own powerful messages of driving safely on the road to keep others and themselves out of trouble.

“I learned a lot it really opened my eyes about the all real dangers of drinking and driving. It really made me understand I’m not invincible and getting in a fatal crash can honestly happen to anyone,” said Jack McBride, the simulated drunk driver.

The simulation demonstrated what a huge impact dangerous driving can have.